Thursday, July 4, 2013

July: Hot weather and new Mission President



Dear Family and Friends,

       This week was a little rough, but we still press on! I had a really good experience though! I was a little down on Tuesday and we were going to read the book of Mormon for our district meeting so I knelt down and prayed that I would find a scripture that would give me some comfort. I began to read and within a couple of verses I found my answer, and I began to cry because of how perfect it was. Not only did it comfort me but it was exactly the same situation I was in. Heavenly Father sure knows what he’s doing! The scripture I found was in Alma 26:27 " Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren the Lamanites, and bear with Patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success" It’s so easy to get down sometimes. A mission is hard. Learning another language is incredibly hard, but if I am patient through my trials the lord will give me success and I will be able to do the things that I am called to do. But it is such a comfort to know that I can turn to Heavenly Father for comfort. I love the book of Mormon and I have no doubt that it is not true. I know it is true with ALL my heart and I know that heavenly father talks to me through reading. I love it!

     So this week it got up to 118 I think. It was pretty hot. Let me tell you how hot with a story that happened. So once upon a time we were driving down the road and we saw this bird peacefully flying in the breeze ahead of us, when all of a sudden it just froze and dropped from the sky. It is so hot that birds just die. It was sad, but we starting laughing because I have never seen anything like that before. It was like it had a heart attack mid-flight... it’s pretty much like walking around in an oven. But I actually don’t really mind. I would rather be hot than cold, because I’m ALWAYS cold! The other sisters laughed at me the other day because I actually wore my sweatshirt and sweats in the apartment because I was cold.

    I also got my first Battle wound this week! We were riding our bikes around in Phoenix and after we talked to these two gentlemen about the book of Mormon we were getting on our bikes to ride off. My foot missed the pedal and instead it jabbed into my leg leaving a nice little chunk of skin missing. It was awkward and embarrassing but we road down the street so I wouldn't have an audience as we fixed it with our handy dandy first aid kit. It looked lovely having blood dripping down my leg. But we got it all cleaned out and it’s all good now.

     So I have to tell you all something... being a Spanish speaking sister I guess I have to just accept the fact that I am going to gain a lot of weight. They feed us sooooooo much food! Like some nights it’s almost painful trying to finish because they just give us so much. The food for the most part is good though, so that makes it easier. The other night we actually had Cow tongue tacos... we didn’t know until after we ate. Because I said a closing prayer and they we pretty impressed with my Spanish. And said it was the gift of tongues then the son said "yeah the gift of tongues because you ate tongues!" you should have seen the way Hermano Ontiveros looked at him when he said that. haha it was a “why on earth did you tell them that?!” look. haha. So you all have to promise me that you will not laugh at me when you see that I am getting fat, because it happens. Oh well.

    Well I have a new mission president as of today! I haven’t met President Toone yet, but we are all excited to meet him. Hopefully tomorrow when we have district meeting and we are at the mission office we will see him. We will have a good week this week I can feel it! I love you all so much and can’t wait to hear from you! I love getting letters! Sometimes i get so many that I don’t have enough time to write them all back, but I will just be patient! Love you all! Talk to ya soon :)

                Love,
                    Hermana Savage 




No comments:

Post a Comment