Friday, April 26, 2013

The Bump in the Road



Well I’m not really sure where to start. It’s probably been one of the hardest weeks of my life, but I’m doing ok, and I’m getting through it. I guess it’s probably easiest to just start from the beginning so that is where I will start.

Last Thursday morning I woke up and my lips were huge! They had literally doubled in size. And I had these big blister/fluid pockets under my top lip. I immediately thought it was an allergic reaction, but couldn’t think of what on earth I would have been allergic too. As we got ready for the day the swelling in my lips went down quite a bit and the blisters weren’t bothering me too much so I decided I would go to the temple with my district and then we would go to the health clinic after to make an appointment.  The Temple was amazing as always. We did sealing’s together as a district J I went and made my appointment but the doctor couldn’t see me until four o’clock, so I went throughout the rest of my usual p-day activities.

When the doctor came in to check on me it was pretty normal until he looked at the blisters in my mouth. I could tell that he got really concerned. which made me nervous.  He asked me about some symptoms and I had some of them so he went and got the other doctor to come take a look at me as well. They both went out into hall to talk and left me alone in the room. I was starting to get pretty freaked out. They came back in and told me that they thought I might be developing something called Steven Johnson Syndrome which is a life threatening condition caused by an allergic reaction to a drug.  The best guess was the Tamiflu I had to take last week when I had Influenza B. He sent me to the ER because he wanted to get a second opinion just because of the possible seriousness of the situation.  Off to the ER! My favorite kind of trips. Not really. Oh well. We were there for about 3 hours. They pretty much ruled out Steven Johnson syndrome but wanted to keep a close eye on me. That was a relief. But they still didn’t know what was wrong with me. When we got back to the MTC I was able to call home for 7 min to let my parents know I had been to the ER. That was a perk! It was nice to talk to my family for a little bit. 

My First visit to the ER


Friday was kind of hard. I tried my best to keep up with the MTC schedule. But it was getting harder and harder as the day went on. During our personal study time I prayed to my heavenly father to help me have the strength to get the things done that I needed to. I then opened my Book of Mormon and it happened to be Mosiah chapter 24. I began to read and when I came to verse 14 I started to cry, because I knew it was just for me. “And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as a witness for me hereafter, and that ye may know for a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.” I full heartedly believe that if you want to talk to your heavenly father, get on your knees. If you want him to talk to you, open your scriptures. I have found sooooo much comfort through the scriptures. The book of Mormon has been such an amazing blessing and I have come to love it more and more each time that I open it. Heavenly Father is looking out for me :)

After dinner my throat really really hurt and it began to feel like it was swelling up, but I tried to stay strong because I already felt bad that every time I had to leave one of my companions had to come with me, so they would miss out on class as well. Someone asked me if I was ok, and that’s what pushed me over my limit. I started to hyperventilate and struggle for breathe through my tears. Hermana Staley and Hermana Savoie took me to the health clinic and the doctor calmed me down gave me some medicine, and had me lay down for an hour. He then had us go to the BYU student health center to pick up some Epipens for me just as a safe guard. To end the day the Elders in my district gave me a priesthood blessing. They are so awesome and I love them soooooo much. They are amazing young men and they will be outstanding missionaries. The people of Argentina are blessed to have them!

Saturday and Sunday I got worse. I would wake up and my lips would be sealed shut and blistered. I would have to pull them apart which was pretty painful. My whole mouth was covered in blisters and sores and every time I would try to drink or eat anything I would get a deep pressure/pain in my chest. It got so bad that I couldn’t eat or drink anything. Sunday night one of my sweet companions sister Staley and another sister in my district sister Hansen were so worried about me that they took me to the doctor again. I was sent to the ER yet again. This time the doctor gave me a new diagnosis and sent me back with some “magic mouth wash” to hopefully help numb my mouth so I could eat.
Monday it just got worse and I was starting to feel the weakening effects of no food or water in my body. After having a checkup with the doctor, he sent me to one of the counselors, and from there I went to President Jenkins. With being sick and trying to keep up with the rigorous schedule of the MTC, plus having a companion who was just emotionally draining and harder to be around then I thought, I just couldn’t get better. It was hard, but he suggested that I needed to go home to recover. There wasn’t any way I was going to get better at the MTC, things were only getting worse.  We called my parents and talked it over. It was sooooo hard because I really didn’t want to leave my district because I loved them so much. That was hardest part about leaving. I was also really scared about what people would say or think about me coming home. But so far everyone has been really supportive and understanding. So thank you so much. I can’t even tell you how much that means to me. It was hard, but I know that it was the only way I was going to get better and continue to serve my mission. My dad came and picked me up Monday night from the MTC and I am now home for a couple weeks until I’m ready to go back out. 

I was able to go to the doctor the other day. We still haven't figured out exactly what I have. He took his best guess, so I have gotten a different diagnosis from every doctor I have seen... I guess time will tell, and hopefully heal. He did give me some medicine that has really helped to numb my mouth so I can eat. I have gotten a lot better the past few days and I’m regaining my strength! 
 
It’s a difficult time in my missionary life, but I know I have a Heavenly Father who loves me. He knows everything from beginning to end. and everything he does is for my eternal good. I know that I will grow stronger from this trial and grow closer to him. i just need to trust in his timing. Everything will work out. “Everything will work out in the end, and if it doesn’t work out, it’s not the end.” Thanks for all the Love and support you guys are awesome! And hopefully I will back out there soon! Love ya :)
                 Love,
                     Jess



Sunday going on our temple walk :)

My District seeing me off Monday night :( Te quiero!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment